« Home | wheeee!! » | on the brink of an adventure » 

Wednesday, September 13, 2006 

day 2 in new york

Today was much slower paced... a nice reprieve in prep for a big weekend. Found out we'll have the chance to work with more experienced New Media artists, which should be pretty sweet. I think it will be nice to be able to be a part of bigger projects that I would never be able to make myself because I have no idea how to do any of the programming stuff. I'm really just feeling quite clueless in general at this point... hopefully by just going out and doing stuff, meeting with artists at Conflux, etc, I'll be able to get some project ideas started.

As far as what I did today, pretty uneventful. I was feeling exhausted by midday, so I took a nap in the afternoon. Then I headed downtown to meet up with some friends for dinner. It was my first time out navigating the city on my own, and not quite as scary as I thought it would be. The subway station at Times Square is absolutely insane... people going in so many directions, and they are all just so focused on their destination. I almost walked into so many people... there must be a trick to being able to walk in a straight line and having people go around you instead of the opposite, which is what I found happening to me.

I think that at this point, even cooler than the city itself and the buildings and the history, is just the people. You hear the most amazing little tidbits of people's lives when you're walking past, and there are hundreds of thousands of these people out and about in the city. Most of them you just walk by without giving it a thought, but then there's others that are more memorable. Like the lady on the subway who smiled at me. Or the man on the street corner who started raving about Michael Jackson and then a minute later announced, "I've been a bum for 19 years now... 1 more and I can retire!"

I think that's all for now, folks. I'm out.