« Home | day 2 in new york » | wheeee!! » | on the brink of an adventure » 

Thursday, September 14, 2006 

cubes and bananas

1. Google Earth officially rocks my world. It is soon going to be invaded by cubes, so watch out! Haha this will be very confusing for anybody who wasn't at our meeting this morning, but purposefully so.

2. MonkeyTown was pretty sweet. We met with the folks from the Institute for the Future of the Book there, and it was just a cool atmosphere and an interesting presentation from them. Here's a couple pictures of the dining part of it, which apparently has really good food that I just might have to try later this weekend when I'm out in Broooklyn again.




I'm kind of skeptical about the digital book, or BOOK (that's upside down, although you can't really tell) idea. There's just a lot of value in having the actual printed material in hand, and especially with old books, the book itself - the binding and structure, are art. My summer job has made me such a library nerd. Yes, it would be convenient to take a whole library of books in one electronic piece of equipment, but I don't think the printed book will ever become obsolete. People can try to compare it to the switch from cassettes to CD's to mp3's, but the difference is that all of those formats are already mediated like the digital book would be. Printed books are like live music that you can relive over and over again.

3. Where are the bananas, you might ask? Well, MonkeyTown. Except they didn't actually have any. And I want to go shopping for fruit at a grocery store that isn't twice as expensive as it should be, if those even exist here.

4. Just because I like it (and yes, I'm aware it's blurry, but that's part of why I like it), here's a picture I snapped yesterday on the way down to the subway.


5. I am officially done for the night. I need a few hours off. Yay!