« Home | everything that London isn't » | what do you mean we aren't press? » | look ma, i'm on tv! » | more london fun » | london bridge » | across the pond » | nextfest » | uh oh... loose in nyc: » | games » | come out and play! » 

Sunday, October 22, 2006 

i'm still here, i promise

So, I know I've been really bad with keeping this thing updated. There is seriously just not enough time here to get everything done. I have been working like crazy on this big project that I've been saying for weeks will be unveiled soon, and this time, I really think that it will. Joe and I are almost done with the New York and London pieces, and we're hoping to get those up on the web for any and all to see by the time we leave Amsterdam.

Did I mention yet that I'm in Amsterdam? Because I am. I don't feel like I've really gotten a good feel for the city yet, but I love pretty much everything I've seen. We're staying in this place called the Apple Inn, and it's this big old house that they converted into a hotel. The staircases are deathly steep, and every time I walk up or down with a computer I'm clutching the railing, but it's an adventure! It's on this old street with all these other old houses, and, well, the whole city just feels very old. There's canals all over the place (although this photo was taken in some big reflecting pool, hence the reflection in it), and more bikes than cars. As a pedestrian in this city, I feel so inferior. What would be sidewalks in most cities are actually bike lanes, and the actual sidewalks are uneven and have poles all over the place and bikes parked in them and all that fun stuff. It's a very pretty city to walk, as long as you stay in the right areas. We kind of accidentally wandered into the red light district tonight and it was, well, not pretty, to say the least. More than anything, I just found it to be very sad, both for the prostitutes and for the people who feel like they need to go there.

I really love being in a place where they speak a different language. It feels like there's so much more going on around me that I'm not aware of, and I feel like so much of an outsider. I bet Berlin will be even better for that, although I will be going back to my German roots (I'm more German than anything else, although I'm pretty sure it's less than half). Going to the grocery store and figuring out what I'm buying is such a puzzle. I pretty much live on cheese and meat and avocado, and I have determined that "kipfilet" is either chicken or turkey, and any kind of cheese they sell is good (or at least I haven't found a bad one yet), so I seem to be managing. They have lots of good juice here too.

I've found I'm much happier in Amsterdam than I was in London. We live in a beautiful place that overlooks a lovely green garden that just might start turning pretty colors while we're here. It rains almost every night but rarely during the day, and when I go outside it smells like Christmas. Food is cheap and good. I'm getting things done on my project, and it has much more direction and urgency than before.

There's so much more I could talk about, but not enough time, and I don't like making long posts, so it will all have to wait for another day. By the way, I know there's people reading this thing because I have a hit counter, but I'm really curious who you all are. If you please, leave a comment saying hello... and maybe let me know what you think of my blog. I'd appreciate it.

I love it (your blog)~ Keep sharing your heart and insights :-) Mom.

Post a Comment