« Home | across the pond » | nextfest » | uh oh... loose in nyc: » | games » | come out and play! » | various film stuff » | make do and mend » | conflux... and other weekend activities » | raaaaaainy day » | cubes and bananas » 

Thursday, October 05, 2006 

london bridge

Well, no map yet, but I think I'm a bit closer to getting my bearings when it comes to navigating London. We walked down to Shakespeare's Globe Theatre, which was a solid two miles across town, and it was nice to get out and see many of the sights. There were a couple places that I recognized from yesterday's bus tour, and I'm sure there would have been more if I had been slightly more awake yesterday. The only problem with walking is that it took slightly more time than anticipated, so we had to save dinner until afterwards. We had lovely seats right on the railing of the balcony on the side of the stage, and after getting past a bit of vertigo, enjoyed The Comedy of Errors. I did learn my lesson though: no matter how boring or difficult to follow the opening monologues are, listen carefully to them. The rest of the play would have been a bit easier to follow if I had.

Now for my big question. I couldn't ask it right away, or jumping eyes may have seen it before absorbing the title of this post. When you see the words "london bridge," do you immediately think "is falling down, falling down, falling down"? Because I certainly do. And I saw London Bridge today! It is not falling down, which is probably a good thing. I didn't get a picture of it, but I did take one looking the other direction because it was just too pretty to pass up. The area around the Thames is absolutely beautiful. Especially on such a nice night (we've had very good luck with the weather here so far) when you can see all the surrounding area with such clarity. I love the idea of building a city around a river and having it be such a bustling area. I mean, it's not the busiest part of London at all, but there are a lot of people and shops along it. I wish more cities had rivers so prominently featured. Yes, a lot of the big ones, especially those that are older, were built near rivers, but often the centers of the cities, as far as I can tell from my experience, aren't terribly close to the water. I wish they were. End of random thoughts for the day. Cheers! (gotta love those Brits!)